The grinding of carbide cutter is a low-carbon behavior that reduces production costs and resource consumption. Most cutters are designed with consideration for later grinding; small-diameter taps and most indexable inserts don't require grinding due to their low prices and relatively high grinding costs; some shaped cutters for machining grooves also don't need grinding because the diameter will be reduced after grinding.
The grinding requirements of high-speed steel cutters are relatively low, and most of their grinding is conducted by the users themselves. The difficult ones are handed over to the manufacturer or professional grinding center for grinding. Carbide cutters and diamond (PCD) cutters have high requirements for grinding, requiring professional equipment and expertise, and generally need to be handed over to the manufacturer or professional grinding center.
Drills are the most suitable cutter for grinding. In terms of pre-processing or general hole accuracy requirements, drills can be used 6 to 8 times for grinding. For higher accuracy requirements, it can generally be used 1 to 2 times.
(1) Grind away the blunt and worn-out original cutting edges, and grind out new cutting edges on a relatively intact substrate.
(2) For hole machining carbide cutters, the abrasion of the guide part must be considered comprehensively.
(3) For the normal uniform abrasion of the cutting edge, the original knife parameters are often used for restorative grinding.
(1) grinding: by grinding the flank face (and rake face) to produce a good new cutting edge. Select the appropriate front and rear angle and the processing method of the cutting edge.
(2) Re-coating: The method of the coating and re-coating should be determined according to the accuracy of the carbide cutter. The thickness of the coating will increase the diameter. Special measures must be taken for diameter-sensitive cutters such as reamers and hobs. For high-speed steel and cemented carbide materials, the method, effect and cost of de-coating are completely different.
Different cutter parameters (front and rear angle, core-bit type, cutting edge treatment form, etc.) are selected for different workpiece materials; the cutters of different manufacturers often have different edge shapes, and different grinding methods need to be established; For customers with special requirements, it is necessary to establish special standard of grinding; tracking the effect of grinding, improving the standard of grinding, and learning from the strengths of the manufacturers.